Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Look Right Through Me

Well not me...or well from a windows perspective. Not the even infuriating one through which you are likely staring at as you read this. I mean the one that leads outside. The great outdoors. You know the world?

In Japan as you might well know the great outdoors is pretty limited. Unless that is to say you live in the inaka, the out there, the pristine and non-technological world. Perhaps it is due to this that windows in Japan are no so much used for their views, but functional primarily to let light into the room. My personal view is of the birds drilling their holes into my neighbors in-great-need-of-renovation-house. That is if I opened my windows. My windows, as many of the windows in Japan are textured, making the outdoor view a pastel blur of a watercolor painting. I have found that normally the taller buildings that could actually give you a view of cityscape are more often not textured as such. This is likely because the higher up the building is, the less likely it is have a directly adjacent neighbor competing floor for floor in height; therefore giving the building a bit of a view. Or at the very least, more so than my own flat.It is one of those things you never really realize. Sure you know you live in a city, and yeah the buildings are close, but you never notice the lack of a view or the lack of interesting things going on outdoors until you are looking to look outdoors, which let's be honest, isn't something that people are always doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment