Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ordering some Take Out

To order up some take out in Japan is an incredibly old new-fangled idea. Don't understand what I mean? Well, Japan has done take out in at least one form for quite some decades. That form takes the shape of the very well known bento. Sure most people prefer to make their own or have their mothers or girlfriends make them for them, but there have always been bento shops for that special occasion or the rare incidence wherein you forget to pack a lunch. These bento shops are places that you could either pick up your order, or on the rare occasion (at least for back in the day) they could deliver it for you (probably if you had a large order or something).

Today, it seems like take out food is more of a new thing in Japan. Yes they have McDonald's. Yes, McDonald's does take out. But that isn't really where I am going with this. I am going in the direction of real meals, restaurants and the like. I know in America, it is perfectly acceptable to walk into nearly any restaurant, or at least any restaurant chain, and order your meals to go if the wait to get a seat is just too long or if you were feeling rather misogynistic that night. Places like Outback steakhouse or Chili's. In Japan, not every place does that. I even doubt the Outback in Osaka will do that, granted I haven't tried yet...However, there are some places that do. My favorite ramen joint with excellent karage now does that, Osho, the kansai chain of Chinese restaurants as well. Why I am really not surprised by Chinese take out?
But whats more?
Some places even deliver. I am not just talking about your local Pizza Hut, which of course delivers, but even the Tokyo McDonald's has a fleet of McDonald's emblazoned scooters that scoot around the city getting meals to their patrons. I am sure there is a price limit to justify the use of one though. Bento stores like the one that my school orders en masse from of course deliver directly to our school. Most other bento places will deliver as well to patrons who probably fall under the McDonald's clause of spending x amount of money. And then a bunch of mom and pop places will deliver to their long time patrons or patrons who are possibly too feeble to make it to the store. Or maybe just to anyone?
The favored method of deliver is is via scooter. They will equip these scooters with large insulated coolers as a back attachment for the mopeds and away they go. I am sure there is also some variant of three wheeled scooter-car with a bed or larger back area to enable them to carry their large order to patron such as my school. There are also special rigs that either must be done personally or by some interesting tech that does some bizarre designs. I will let your minds wander as to what contraptions I might be referring. Perhaps one day you will be so lucky as to get a picture. But then my favorite, is the delivery method by my favorite mom and pop restaurant shop. They too have a little moped and the driver has this great wooden delivery box with an enormous handle that he holds on to as he rides to his destination.
Need Proof?






No comments:

Post a Comment