Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Zenzai

One of my favorite winter treats is zenzai.

It is a really simple sweet soup dessert. It pretty much consists mostly of a liquidy red bean soup. I know I know...red bean yeah yeah gross. Normally I am not the biggest fan either, they are actually just a bit too sweet for me. But for some reason this soup is less sweet than the bread. So as I was saying, it pretty much only consists of this liquid red bean stuff and some mochi. Really simple right? Of course you have to warm up and cook the mochi first before you add it to the soup, but over all, not a big deal.
And the BEST part about it? It is really REALLY easy to make. You can simply buy dried mochi and a can of the red bean stuff. You have to give the mochi its texture back, so you cook it a little in some water giving it its moisture and possibly then microwave or pan fry it for quickness if you prefer. And then you heat up the red bean canned deliciousness, add the mochi and BAM. done. fantasticness....I want some...

There are actually two different forms of zenzai that I have encountered and one is more watery and one is a thicker soup where the beans are more frequent and crushed and the watery one, the beans are left more whole. Both are really delicious.

You can actually eat this in the summer as well. I am pretty sure China first trademarked that (as well as the whole zenzai food tradition). You simply put the red bean paste over ice and add some sweetened condensed milk for some nice summer flavor, and any other suitable flavoring. They eat this pretty much all over Asia from what I can tell. China, Korea, Japan, and I honestly would swear I had something all too similar to the summer variation when I was traveling SE Asia as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment