Thursday, April 4, 2013

Aged Japan


Oh my it has been a long while since I have wrote here.

For those of you who didn't know, I was on vacation in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Or if you are my mom, it was just Vietnam. And it was great. Don't worry I'm safe.
So I am prone to start these topics in blogger to remind myself to write about them later and just leave them for some unknown date in the future as a HEY WRITE ABOUT THIS. So while I have been having a great time and neglecting my blog, they got published and I did nothing. So Here I am going be and fixing it a bit. And for those of you who never saw this before had...good.

So I find the above image hilarious. I used to have a joke with some of my friends that between '16 and 60' you would never be able to tell an Asians age. Well I live here now and can tell a little be more regarding the their age. Now they have immaculate skin, and if you live in South Korea, things can be done and surgeries can be had to preserve your youth forever. Or nearly.

Here in Japan, I was told a little trick where if you can't tell the age of a woman, then you should look at her hands. You can tell the age of most women apparently by their hands. How well worn/used they are. How many wrinkles they have. As I look at mine as I write this, I should put out there that it can't be used for everyone, or maybe not for white women, or maybe it is just me. Mine definitely look about 40 with all the scars and wrinkled knuckled little sausages. Ok enough of that. There are a few more, but those can mostly be used for older women maybe in their 30s and 40s. If you look at their faces, their skin seems like it is stretched if you know what I mean. It seems like it is a mask almost. Things like cheeks become more defined, and when they furrow their brow, it becomes more furrowed than usual. The spot below their eyes especially starts to slacken and with people who are a bit chubby, their jowls as well. You know the normal aging process. Though, I will say that I think my moms skin looks fairly youthful for beyond 50, it has really retained that elasticity ( I can only hope I got those genes), but I sincerely think that is not really the case with a Japanese woman of the same age as my mom. One that is comparable in efforts of maintaining youth at least, since my mother does not so much of anything to her own skin. I know that some Japanese people will undergo treatments and have techniques and these weird facial rollers to make them still young and youthful looking.
I told you the secret. Now you must only promise to use it for good.

mother-and-son-then-and-now-makes-foreigners-think-japanese-do-not-age

Redditors and responses to Ageless Japan
I have been on reddit too long

No comments:

Post a Comment