Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hand-made me

Perhaps I was extraordinarily daft during my time in America, but I never noticed such craftiness on this level. One of the things I super-love-love about Japan, is the amount of craft fairs they have.

I can find at least 2 craft fairs going on every week here. They really love their handmade stuff!
These events normally take place at shrines and parks and are normally pretty massive. You can find all kinds of things there: baked goods, jewelry, fabric crafts (clothes, bags, pencil cases...), leather crafts (bags, shoes, notebooks), you can find weaving and knitting goods, paper crafts, original post cards, glass and pottery creations, things for fun and things that are more casual every day usage. I love the huge variety they have. I normally go get a postcard and some homemade treat at everyone I go to and just walk around mostly. I look for idea for stuff I can make myself. My favorite has been the bike bag. I saw it at one craft fair and knew that my bike basket was on its way out. And therefore had a fresh new and much cheaper idea for myself than buying an entire new basket.
If you are living in the kansai area, it is certainly worth it to check out Kansai Scene if you are looking for a craft fair anywhere in the Kansai area. Otherwise I would pay attention to the posters and flyers of where you live. I find a good many adverts on trains and at the stations nearest to them. Also if you get into it, you might find out that there are monthly or bi monthly ones that fall on a certain day of the month and will happen regardless of weekend or no.


No comments:

Post a Comment