Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Can I take your order?

One of the things I first loved about Japan, was their plastic food.

Outside of a great many restaurants you will find their menu. In food format. In Japan there is a whole industry on the construction and life-likeness of plastic food. The food of course displays what the menu is for the restaurant and for someone who spoke and read exactly no Japanese save for sumimasen, these visual menus were the perfect way to see what a restaurant had. You might find a good amount of the menus of places are written in stylized kanji and will need someone to order for you. It seems that, save for very well populated and well positioned restaurants, a good amount of menus have a sincere absence of visual aid to help you decide what you would like to order. Making these little outdoor look-alikes a nice blessing.
Plastic food seems to last forever. Honestly one restaurant where I live I swear probably installed their display in the 70's and hasn't opened it since. Granted there are newer and better models of the same thing that are now in production. Models that look nearly real. Of course models still need a good dusting now and again to maintain their life-like qualities or the food will sincerely begin to look a bit drab.
Occasionally there will be real models of the food outside. If there is a special that day or a slight change in the menu or what not. But be advised not to eat it. I am sure they will look at you very strangely for that indeed. Also it will probably be cold.

Can't speak Japanese? Not a problem. When I first visited Japan and went to restaurants alone, I would take a picture on my phone of whatever I desired to eat and show the waiter/waitress/or cook. And oh they loved it. I was such a funny little gaijin to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment