Thursday, June 14, 2012

Japan Fashion: the Otaku

I think that one of the biggest misconceptions I had about Japan dealt with the word Otaku.

For the most part, I imagined an otaku being some unshaven overweight undesirable who would frequent maid cafes in order to fulfill real life fantasies that he envisions with the help of anime or manga. Often I picture them wearing glasses and in need of...well, SOMEthing to happen on their head (normally some kind of a haircut, but I suppose there are some cases where it really just needs a shower). Pretty much I imagined them to be more or less like this:




Turns out I am pretty far from the truth with my imagination. Otakus can be anyone or anybody, and you can't tell them apart normally. Sure some might be on the local train reading the latest One Piece, but then again most people read One Piece. So how do you tell them apart?
Well I was told that they look a bit more nerdy like an I.T. worker and I automatically conjured up a Japanese-American image, but here the nerds aren't so nerdy. I actually could not tell you who was an otaku and who wasn't. So the explanation had to be brought a bit further. Sure they look like and hell they are normal people who just happen to use a ton of their free time playing games or reading manga or watching anime.
Their fashion is more or less a casual business Japanese office worker fashion. Often wearing jeans or something Japanese people call Chino pants, which are more casual than khakis and they tend to roll them up at the ankle, and a white button down shirt that is more often than not, tucked in. I should also mention a stereotype of plaid or check button down shirts. Sounds pretty normal right? Apparently what sets them off the most is a bookbag that they carry about. I can't tell you what is inside it; maybe manga. But apparently they are sort of known for carrying about bookbags. I never noticed it until someone said that otakus seemed childish carrying about their bookbags, as if they were still in school. Their hair might run a bit on the longer side, but unlike manga and anime would lead you to believe, they do try to socially conform a bit...
But personally I think images like this take it too far again...sure they have the roll pants (but let me point out, these are NOT chino pants), and the button down shirt. Cross body converted belt backs have actually made a bit of a resurgence in Japan, especially among men (as carrying a bag here is not queer), but I don't ever really see the belt bags as shown here. The raincoat...well it certainly can be true, but again I think this poor soul is taking it too far when all of Japan is fairly fashion concerned. You can see the backpack I was talking about and the longish hair (again, taking it too far in my opinion). And as for the glasses, glasses are again fashionable in Asian countries, but I think this is still a mis-perception of a stylized, excessive otaku that probably has trouble socializing with the rest of the world.



Some better examples:






1 comment: