Thursday, January 17, 2013

Special Bread

I have no idea if this is a wide spread thing throughout Japan or not, but it is something that I think is fantastic through and through.

There is a little place called Toyama, I can't personally say that I have been there myself just yet, but I do have many a friend there. And one tells me of a certain program for adult citizens of a special mind. In other words, the ones who cannot function well in normal society. Those who cannot have normal jobs and need help with their daily activities often. I feel like there are a good many of these kinds of people in Japan. Perhaps it is because in America we find a way to lock them in some care institution or hide them from the public eye, and therefore I was never formally aware of their presence, or perhaps it is just because I am more adult now and get to notice these types of things.
Either way, in Toyama these people have a unique way of fitting into society. They are breadmakers. In the traditional sense of the word where they are those who make bread, not the head male of the household in 1950's suburbia. Their job is to make bread and have it delivered to certain places throughout Toyama, one of which being the school of a dear friend of mine. Pretty awesome program right?



No comments:

Post a Comment