Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Superlatives: a classroom story

Today in class I held a bit of a lottery system deal. If they picked the red chopstick out of the 4 chopsticks ( the others were colored black on the ends) they had to give me a sentence using superlatives.
Initially the target phrase was:
_____________ is ____________er than _____________
something like:
My pencil is longer than your pencil.

Well one of my smarter students shortened the phrase to just say 'than yours'. Which turned into the new revised template that everyone used.
My pencil is longer than yours.

In the earlier classes I would give them subjects that they would know to use, like bags, and pencils, and pencil cases and such, but this class I encouraged them to be more creative. And boy, did I get what I asked for. Here are a few sentences they came up with.

My mother is prettier than yours.
My father is prettier than you.
My hair is more beautiful than yours.( a boy with a buzz)
My life is longer than yours.
My hair is shinier than yours.
My boyfriend is better than yours.
My boyfriend's nose is kinder than yours.
My smile is cuter than Lauren's.

I was laughing so hard by the end of it, my cheeks hurt. I totally asked for this.

In addition since this was the superlatives lesson they discovered the way some say 'Shota' and the way some say 'shorter' are very similar. Therefore when it became Shota's turn:
My name is Shota than yours.

Hahaha what smart kids I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment