Thursday, January 19, 2012

Which do you like better? Korea or Japan

This is THE most common question I get after I tell people that I used to live in Korea. This was a popular source of conversation when I first got here (and still is) and informed my school that I have taught before...in Korea. "Ohhhh! So which do you like better? Japan or Korea?"
And now, when I tell people when I went home for Christmas, they kind of think: "well weren't you just there?"And then I have to inform them it has been some time since I have been back to America, since I used to live in Korea. And again. "Ohhhh! So which do you like better? Japan or Korea?"

There is a very short answer to that. And if you know me then you know what it is. There is a reason for all this comparison actually. They have a history, a very unfriendly history. Pretty much, Japan took over and tried to colonize them and they decided they would not just roll over and take it. Surprise. Regardless, there was a war. And I don't know anyone alive who still remembers it but, oh, there is a grudge.
When I was in Korea and went on vacation to Japan. This was a source of criticism for a few of my more narrow-minded Korean friends. "Why? Isn't Korea better?" Don't misunderstand, there are many people who have over come this grudge and like Japan culture. Much of the remaining grudge is still fueled by Dokdo Island.
For anyone who does not know Dokdo island is two smallish lumps of rock they calls islands. If you view this from the other side of the water, they will call it Takeshima island. In other words, you might have guessed it. They fight over a rock.
Let us go over a brief recent history of it. Currently they are administered by the Korean government. Korean Air flew a plane over the island. Japanese diplomats boycotted Korean Air. Now, there is an elder Korean couple living on the island, an octopus fisherman and his wife. And additionally armed forces make frequent visits.

Japan has a similar grudge against Koreans, but theirs is a bit more silly. It is more of a "They don't like us, so we don't like them kind of attitude." (in addition to the Takeshima island thing). This is not a common grudge. There are many Japanese people who like to go to Korea for plastic surgery since it is so cheap there ( especially for the yen). There are even package vacation deals with airlines, hotels, and a clinic visit all included. But there is more to Korea than just these clinics. There are also pop artists and dramas. Girl Generation and KARA are both very popular Korean groups to Japanese teenagers. Dramas are a big thing in both Korea and Japan. But if you ask my opinion, Koreans definitely do a better job and therefore have a strong following in Japan.

All in all, I actually find that their cultures are really quite similar (especially their need to compare themselves to one another - it is not only the Japanese who ask!)...possibly because there was so much Japanese influence of over the years. But there are also many minute differences as well like eating etiquette or social mannerisms. I actually find them a bit difficult in Korea. This could be because I was very green when I first moved there and was very unaccustomed to the new etiquette. And here in Japan I am less like a bull in a China shop. They are also less strict on their customs and more forgiving of gaijins.

Therefore when asked...You should probably hedge the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment